Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building or Publishing
I have a little question but didn't know where to place it on the forum. Because this is about programming I decided to place it here, hope it's the right place...

So my question is what the difference is between the executable that has been built or the executable that has been published. Except from the installer where the published exe is stored in I don't know the difference.

Thanks, Brecht
Well, the idea behind building/publishing is that when you build an application, you pack everything into the .exe file and you can run the program from that .exe file.

As you stated, publishing creates a setup file that installs a ClickOnce variant of your application. What does this mean? Your application is installed in some crazy directory and has limited permissions (For example, the program can't directly be run as administrator). There is no difference in how the application actually runs, however.

In order to create a setup file, I usually build the application and have all of its dependent .dll files built to the same directory. I then build the setup file using NIS Setup Creator (Using the HM NIS Edit for a GUI). It creates really nice setup files.

Hopefully this resolves your issue.
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.
Check this out (http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Instal...55998.html)

This program is named Advanced Installer. I use this program most of the time. The possibilities are endless and it's quite easy to use (I think, I don't use all of the options).

Not only the technical aspect of the installer is nice but also the UI. Sorry I don't want to advertise this program but I think it's the best that you can find.

I also like NSIS but that's again programming and with AU you just select what you want and build.

PS: I don't like the ClickOnce installer. You just have no options, no options at all, I'll just build the application.

Thanks, Brecht