Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to: Search files from a certain directory with Progressbar + Backgroundworker
Hello ryanshane91 and welcome to BP Forums!

In most programming environments, VB.NET included, there is a main user-interface thread which is the only thread that is allowed to access user interface components. In VB.NET, a BackgroundWorker works on a thread separate than the user-interface thread and thus is not allowed to access user interface components.

There are thus two ways to solve your problem:
1. Tell VB.NET to ignore this restriction and allow non user-interface threads to access the user-interface (
Code:
System.Windows.Forms.Form.CheckForIllegalCrossThreadCalls = false;
)

2. The `BackgroundWorker` has an event to report progress. You can then handle this report on the UI thread. You can do this by:
2a. Setting BackgroundWorker1.WorkerReportsProgress = True
2b. In `BackgroundWorker1_DoWork`, do something like `BackgroundWorker1.ReportProgress(file)`
2c. A new sub which handles the reported progress to add the file to the listbox.

I hope this helps!
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to: Search files from a certain directory with Progressbar + Backgroundworker - by brandonio21 - 11-25-2017, 12:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Read all lines from multiple text files. strawman83 2 17,296 06-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Last Post: strawman83