Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Software Versions Help
Since I will probably seek for carrer in programming, in future, I cannot find ANYWHERE a nice explanation of published software version numbers.

There are four numbers: Major, Minor, Build, Revision.

The thing is, I don't know which one to change when I create an updated version of a software.

For example, I made my first Tic-Tac-Toe game which included only basics, but now I added 'MORE' button which extends the window and shows the information of the current game.

I don't know which number to change after that. I suppose you get it by now.

Although it might be irrelevant, but I would like to know.

By the way, examples would be greatly appreciated.
Also known as Rocketalypse.
System.out.println("I prefer Java.");
Well, this is all in a developer's preference. Most developers increment in very small amounts, and others increment in larger amounts.

For example, Firefox has gone from version 3.0.0 to 12.0.0 in a matter of a couple of years.

However, most developers start things off simple.
Your first release is usually something like version 0.1.0 BETA. This release needs to be tested. Everytime you put out a patch or update the software, the version changes accordingly. So if you update it, it turns into 0.1.1 BETA.

Then, once your software is out of the BETA stages and is essentially bug-free, you can say your software is version 1.0 (Which is generally the release build), and as you update simply go from 1.0 to 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3, etc. If your update is rather large, you may want to increase the version numbers more so your users have a sense that the patch contains several fixes. For example, 1.0 could go directly to 1.4.3

Hopefully this helps a bit. I have no idea if this is the standard way of doing things, but it's the rubric that I follow.
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.
Thank you very much!

However, before I release any kind of software, I actually check for bugs and I release bug-free version, basically. So for me it starts from Version 1.0.0.0, I guess.

Once again, your explanation was pretty helpful. Thanks!
Vinwarez Wrote:Thank you very much!

However, before I release any kind of software, I actually check for bugs and I release bug-free version, basically. So for me it starts from Version 1.0.0.0, I guess.
Well everyone tries to do this in some form, but no software is ever bug-free. There will always be bugs that occur due to compatibility issues or strange things that a user did. But if you feel confident with your testing, then 1.0 is a good starting point.
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.
brandonio21 Wrote:no software is ever bug-free

It actually depends. If you're working on a big software, then there will always be a bug, but if you're working on a small software, most likely it will be bug-free, but there is always a possibility that there will be a bug.

Recently I found a bug on my Tic-Tac-Toe game and I actually thought it was bug-free, so that version is degraded to 0.5. I found out about it when I was testing some features that will be added in the next version of the game. I will realease the game to public in future.

So, that is one of the reason why I released Create Your Character in Alpha stage.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Usefull software for program development brco900033 2 11,683 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Last Post: brco900033
  Software suggestions brco900033 2 12,198 10-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Last Post: brandonio21