Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats a good language to learn for beginners.
Hey ive been watching your videos lately on youtube about java. I am new to everything and would just like to know what is a good way to begin. I am going to college for Computer information system right now. I would like to become a Software Engineer and any advice would be great.
Hey Josephb19!

First off, welcome to BP Forums. I hope that you enjoy your time here!

A good language for beginners. Hm. There is a lot of discussion on this topic. It all depends on what you would like to do with programming! Would you like to create software, create functional webpages, create games, or just create whatever you feel like in your free time?
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.
I would like to create Software. It would mean a lot to me if you can just give me any sort of advice where to begin. right now im just trying to understand what everything means I heard python is a good way to begin with but I am not sure if that relates to software.
Software, eh? Well Python is definitely a great beginning language, however, I recommend Java. It teaches one great object oriented skills, automatically cleans up garbage, is full of functionality, and is cross-platform.

Programming software definitely requires a lot of learning and a significantly different mindset. Before you begin to actually program, however, you should learn the basics of programming. Here are a few questions that you should know the answers to.

-What is a variable? What does it do?
-What are functions? What do they do?
-What are the different types of variables?
-What are the different types of functions?

Then, once you feel confident that you know the basic backbone of programming, go ahead and dive into learning an actual language. Like I said, Java is a good starting point. Create something that you find cool, neat, or interesting. Don't copy someone else's idea! The best way to learn is to experiment.

For example, Say you've always wanted to convert pounds to grams in your head. Make a program that does it for you.

Want to experiment and find all the numbers between 500 and 700 that are divisible by 6? Make a program that does it for you.

Last but not least: If you have problems, before asking someone, try to solve them yourself. This will boost your confidence and allow you to learn even more than you already know. Don't be afraid to ask someone else! But be hesitant about it.
Alright Thank you very much for your help appreciate it a whole lot dude. I know ill learn some through college but I also know to become a good software programmer a lot comes from teaching yourself and continue to learn. But thank you once again ill be watching all of your videos later then ill try and experiment and see what I have learned.
Great! Hopefully you enjoy programming as much as so many others (Myself included) do! Best of luck to you!
A quick personal question, Do you ever get exausted from programming? lol ive read something about programmers they can only do it for so long until they find something else to do and it just becomes a side thing for fun.
Do I ever become exhausted? Yes. It is very taxing on the mind and requires a lot of abstract thinking. Usually, I take week long breaks by relaxing and playing video games with friends. Then, I will get back to programming for about two weeks. This cycle seems to occur naturally.
lol ive always wondered if that was something true and I guess it is. But hey what kind of video games do you play? I like to play a lot of BF3 on the xbox 360. Game just amazes me from their frostbite 2 engine.
I used to play on the XBOX 360, however, I now play all my games on the PC. Battlefield 3 is pretty cool! However, I am a major Battlefield veteran (Played since 1942), and I definitely think that Battlefield 3 is the letdown of the entire Battlefield franchise.
Nice I wish I had a better computer for pc games. Well ive been playing Battlefield since Bad Company 2 so Ive never experienced the older games but I enjoy the game still.

Is it okay if I ask what do you currently do as a career right now? or are you just going to school.
I apologize, but my career is private information!
I apologize, I just finished high school and im just trying to explore more possibilities for a career.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are some good books to learn Java? Chema 1 10,821 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Last Post: brandonio21