Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A message regarding spam
Hey guys!

As you are probably aware, there has been a recent slew of spam that has contained messages about kitchen cabinets, website design, and foot fungus. In the past, I have personally fought the spam and manually banned the accounts and deleted the posts. However, since the forum has gained popularity, I cannot handle this large task anymore.

To fight this spam, I have installed a few countermeasures:
1) To register for an account, you need to answer a question that is somewhat random; however, it is definitely answerable.
2) All new accounts are now monitored by a spam filter which connects with a database of spam IP Addresses and usernames. If the registered account is contained within one of these databases, registration will be blocked.
3) All posts will be filtered by the same spam filter, and any posts that contain sketchy URLs will be immediately deleted and the posters will be banned.
4) Finally, all accounts that are banned on BP Forums will be uploaded to the "spam" database, making BP Forums play a major role in the fight against spam.

These spam countermeasures should work very well, so prepare to see a reduced amount of spam on BP FORUMS!

Also: We have a new logo. It's monospace.
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.

Messages In This Thread
A message regarding spam - by brandonio21_phpbb3_import2 - 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Re: A message regarding spam - by Vinwarez - 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Re: A message regarding spam - by kismetgerald - 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Re: A message regarding spam - by Vinwarez - 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM