Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to search multiple files for one string
I am trying to make an app that will search multiple files for one string. I am able to make it search an individual file with the following code:

Dim numberinfile As String = IO.File.ReadAllText("C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\example.txt")
Dim target_string As String = TextBox1.Text

If numberinfile.IndexOf(target_string) <> -1 Then
MsgBox(TextBox1.Text & " was found ")

Else
MsgBox(TextBox1.Text & " was NOT found ")

End If

I just want to take out example.txt and insert an *.txt, which in python would translate into a wild card. I was told about using Directory.GetFiles to get a list of files within a directory and then loop it until all files are read in that directory. I have no idea how to do that and the person didn't really explain much other than give me that piece of information. I only know so much about VB since I took a course in high school on the basics and my college didn't bring VB up in any courses. If there is any additional resources I could use for VB knowledge feel free to post them here. Thanks

Messages In This Thread
How to search multiple files for one string - by ryan - 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to filter multiple extensions in OPendialog Himansh 1 8,323 05-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Himansh
  How to delete all files in a specific folder using VB ? Himansh 4 16,531 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Last Post: brandonio21
  Files in a listbox Hurricane 4 18,068 02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Last Post: brandonio21
  Get Files from the C drive Protection4Real 3 13,421 02-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Protection4Real