Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Relationship
It has been a while since I started a new project that was hosted on BP Forums, so I thought that I'd start a new Java game and leave my update logs in this thread. I think it is fun to do that.

Anyway, inspired by a relationship that I have recently begun with my girlfriend, I have decided to create a rather abstract game. Essentially the player will play the role of a lonely sole whose main objective is to find a friend in the world that they will eventually fall in love with.

THE CONCEPT
You are placed in a mysterious world filled with unrecognizable figures. They are all clustered within their own cliques where everyone behaves in the same manner. These cliques naturally reject the lonely soul that the player has. However, if the player behaves in the right ways, he may gain the attention of those groups. As he gets their attention, they become more recognizable and their behaviors get more complicated. In order to fit in, the player must act like one from the group.

There will be "cliques" for every behavior imaginable. If the player wishes to sit in a corner, maybe he will gain the attention of a psychotic homeless man who only wishes to steal money. The outcome of the player's actions is determined by the interactions he has with the various strangers within this world. These strangers will be randomly selected from a library of behaviors, appearances and attributes.

THE DESIGN
This game will be written in Java and should be playable through a web browser. With that being said, the game should take the form of an applet. The graphics will remain relatively simple and will feature a top down view on a blank, rectangular world. The "people" will take on various shapes such as circles, triangles, rectangles, and squares. The player will be a circle with a dot in the middle.

This simple design will allow me to focus on the mechanics and gameplay of "The Relationship", which should take a decent amount of time to finish.

This game will feature several types of objects, the preliminary design features:
-Behaivors
-Actors
-Player
-Data Objects
-Game Objects (Applets, Canvas, etc).

I will post more as updates develop. Stay tuned!
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.
Sweet! I cant wait to try it out! when do you think your going to post it for play? oh wait lol this is three years ago
baconc Wrote:Sweet! I cant wait to try it out! when do you think your going to post it for play? oh wait lol this is three years ago
This post was actually written only 2 months ago. A lot of unreported progress has been made on the game! I'm glad your interested! I'll be sure to post an update soon.
My Blog | My Setup | My Videos | Have a wonderful day.